Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Amazing Tofu Recipe for your Outdoor Fire Pit or Grill


So recently I learned that I would have to change my diet somewhat to compensate for hereditary high blood pressure and cholesterol levels that were higher than they should be. So I did what any semi-responsible human being would do. I got on the internet and found out which foods would benefit my current condition.


Turns out Salmon, Ahi Tuna, Tofu along with kale, spinach, almonds, cashews and broccoli would benefit my high blood pressure and help my heart. All of the above mentioned contribute to lowering blood pressure and lowering cholesterol.


Well, being that it is summer, and I have never really been into tofu, I was going to have to get creative. I tossed the tofu in sesame oil, fish oil and layered it in toasted sesame seeds and then learned that a high heat saute was not going to workout for me. The first attempt was, well, not as tasty as expected nor was the soft spongy consistency of tofu appealing to my taste buds.



I then hopped online and realized what I was missing; fire and a good water squeeze from the tofu itself. Because tofu has a ton of water in it, it acts like a sponge and absorbs everything in sight. Ah-ha! So this time I pressed all the water i could out of the tofu, cut them into 1/2 inch thick slabs and then let the tofu sit in a zip-lock bag for a few hours soaking up sweet teriyaki marinade, sesame oil, a touch of fish oil and some spices. I then fired up my grill and waiting for the coals to get nice and hot. I tossed the now well marinated tofu slabs onto the grill and let them sizzle for about 6 minutes on each side until they had a nice crisp to them. Now the tofu had texture, flavor and didnt fall apart on me like when I failed to squeeze the water out of it during the saute process. And it was delicious!

Grilled teriyaki tofu with a side of sauteed kale with almonds, pine nuts and topped off with fresh avocado is now one of my favorite meals. And who knew, its GOOD for you too! So if you are looking for a creative and tasty new dish to grill up on the old barbecue, then try this one on for size.

I imagine next time I go camping and toss a match in the fire pit, I can and will bring this tasty delight with me to the wilderness. Nothing says "lets love nature together" like a fire pit and some tofu.

0 comments:

Post a Comment